Transforming a Medical Devices Client into a LEAN Unit
Client – A medical device manufacturer
- Tefen was asked to transform the customer into a LEAN operational unit.
- Tefen conducted a diagnostics study, a detailed design and implementation phase.
Production volume is not aligned with actual demand
The number of FTEs is substantially higher then needed
Spaghetti chart showed a substantial waste on walks
No management control over employee efficiency
Erratic demand resulted in peaks for production line
No communication between sales & operations, no planning process.
What have we done:
- transforming production using Lean principles:
- Create a Continuous Flow process based on “Cells” – Eliminating all types of wastes
- Defining TAKT time for each product – aligning production volume to actual demand
- Designing a new production floor layout to support the Lean principles
- Implementing a “Water Spider” Lean material handling method called
- Implementing a S&OP process to improve forecast and stabilize the production plan
Adjusting production to TAKT:
Layout – Product “Cells”:
- Reduction of required FTEs by 42%
- Cycle time reduction of ~40% (20 minute11 minutes per product)
- Space reduction of ~40%
- Planning – Implementation of S&OP process supporting forecast and production leveling
Cycle time reduction: